How To - Installation & Specifications
Kayu Canada Installation Tips
We would like for your Kayu Canada deck installation to go as smoothly as possible with the finished product appearance and performance maximised for your enjoyment.
Kayu Hardwood Decking Installation Guide
Prior to Installation:
Prior to installation please store the hardwood in a dry, shaded area. Ensure properly stacked.
- Pre-oil all four sides with Messmer’s UV Plus for Hardwoods, or Hemp Shield Exterior Oil. This ensures equal moisture transfer and reduces the likelihood of cupping.
- Coverage ranges from 200 sq. ft. – 400 sq. ft. depending on finishing product.
Note: Do not apply if precipitation is expected within 24 - 48 hours. Surface temperature must be between 8°C to 32°C
- Messmer’s cleanup with paint thinner or mineral spirits. Hemp clean up with soap and water.
As with any oil based products there is DANGER: rags, pads, steel wool, or waste soaked with these products may self-ignite and catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately after use place rags, pads, steel wool or waste in a sealed water filled metal container for proper disposal.
For top screwing appearance, only use stainless steel fasteners or the Pro Plug System. For no screw appearance only use the Kreg Deck Jig Hidden Deck Fastening System, with exterior constructive adhesive.
- Pre-drill screw holes with Kreg Deck Jig on both sides of the boards.
- For faster installation just use the Kreg Deck Jig to pre-drill screw holes.
-Joist spacing 24” on center for 5/4 decking material
- For the best hold glue down decking material with exterior grade construction adhesive then fasten down the decking on both sides.
- Especially at any butt joints, ensure you have glued down decking to underlying joists with either PL Premium, or Titebond Fast Set Polyurethane.
- It is also good building practice to install solid blocks to double up the joist to have the screws farther away from butt joints to prevent cracking.
- Use KREG Protec-Kote ACQ Deck Screws or Stainless Steel screws. Anything else is not recommended as it may react with the hardwood.
- DO NOT use hidden clip fasteners (due to expansion and contraction)
- Leave a 1/4” or 5/16” gap between 5/4 x 6 deck boards to allow for expansion in moist conditions.
- Leave a 3/16” gap between 5/4 x 4 boards to allow for expansion in moist conditions
- Trim ends neatly and butt together tightly. Lengthwise expansion is nil.
IMPORTANT: Use 5/4 x 4 decking boards when installing 18” or lower from ground, and ensure proper ventilation and airflow beneath deck.
If you wish to use the 5/4 x 6 decking close to the ground or low ventilation areas (rooftops) we insist on installing a hardwood strip on top of the joists, fastening hardwood to hardwood will prevent any cupping that could occur in a low ventilation, high moisture environment.
Please ensure that there is proper ventilation on all four sides under the decking material to provide proper airflow and drying.
- Apply the Messmer’s UV Plus for Hardwoods or the Hemp Shield Exterior Oil to well cleaned and dry deck once a year for first few years then as needed to maintain appearance.
- Once the oil is applied any product that is not absorbed into the wood within 10 - 20 minutes must be back brushed to prevent surface sheen and puddling.
Please Note: These are just guidelines if you have any questions
Please Call Toll Free (1-877) 666-5298 (KAYU) to talk to an expert.
Hardwood Decking Comparision
Red Balau Batu
Red Balau Batu is an excellent combination of hardness, uniformly dark brown color, and interlocking grain which minimized surface checking. This is considered by most to be the best combination of beauty and durability.
Strength: 17,000 MPa
Dark Red Meranti
Dark Red Meranti is a proven performer for over 25 years with good decay resistance and wear ability. Initially a light golden brown color darkens to a warm brown with mixtures of light and dark. This is one of the most beautiful finishing hardwoods around.
Strength: 12, 100 MPa
Yellow Balau Bangkirai
Yellow Balau Bangkirai is initially similar to teak in color, then darkens to a classis mahogany brown or if left bare will weather to Silver Patina. Yellow Balau Bangkirai has been around for generations, originally in European markets for over 100 years ago.
Strength: 20, 100 MPa
IPE is one of the dense hardwood products available. IPE is air dried, but surface checking is common after installation. It is recommend the wax the ends after cutting to avoid any end checking that could occur.
Strength: 24, 900 MPa
Tongue and Groove Installation Tips
We would like for your Kayu Canada deck installation to go as smoothly as possible with the finished product appearance and performance maximized for your enjoyment.
Exterior Covered Porch Flooring
The tongue and groove material should be treated all six sides with a penetrating sealer.
Our Meranti and Red Balau Batu is kiln dried but can still retain moisture so it is extremely important that the material is sealed thus minimizing the dimensional damage.
Lengthwise there is virtually no expansion therefore neatly trimmed ends can be butted tightly together.
Nailing success has been achieved with 7d or 8d [what does this mean?] finish stainless steel nails. Blind nail through the tongue 45%, the nail must penetrate the joints.
When face nailing with ¾ [3/4 inches?] of the edge or end of the board pilot holes are recommended to prevent splitting.
Ventilation is extremely important, DO NOT box in the underneath of the tongue and groove decking material. The moisture underneath a boxed in deck will be absorbed by the underside of the tongue and groove decking material. The sun and wind will dry the topside of the tongue and groove decking material and this will cause the material to cup.
Due to the weight of Kayu Exotic hardwood this material must be nailed and glued with a high quality exterior construction adhesive.
It is always a good idea to check with local building codes for proper wood soffit installation
Skirting & Siding
All tongue and groove skirting should be installed with stainless steel screws or stainless steel brad nails.
DO NOT install tongue and groove skirting and siding tight, leave a 1-1/16” gap for expansion and contraction, as in periods of high humidity the woods can expand.
It is always a good idea to check with local building codes for proper wood soffit installation
KAYU CANADA MAINTENANCE GUIDE
You are the proud owner of a Kayu Tropical Hardwood Deck! In order to keep your deck looking great, it isimperative to periodically clean and re-oil the surface, following these easy steps will keeping it looking
brand new.We recommend either using the Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, or Messmer’s UV Plus for Hardwood, with either the Messmer’s Part A Wood & Deck Cleaner or Woca Exterior Cleaner. All the mentioned products are available at Kayu Canada Inc.
1. Sweep excess debris, dirt and leaves, off the deck surface. Wet the deck surface down with clean water.
2. Mix Messmer’s Wood & Deck Cleaner or Woca Exterior Cleaner in warm water at the recommended
3. After waiting several minutes for the product to dissolve and activate, apply with a mop. Let the cleaning product sit on the deck surface for at least 20 minutes, making sure to keep the deck wet with more cleaner if it begins to dry out. If your deck is extremely dirty, scrub the decks boards along with the grain of the wood with a stiff broom. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
4. Allow the deck to dry for 24 - 48 hours after cleaning before applying the Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, or
Messmer’s UV Plus for Hardwoods.
5. Do not apply the finishing product of your choice during the heat of the day as the oil dries too quickly, itis best to apply during early morning, or early evening during the summer months. Be mindful of the
minimum temperature below for each finishing product.
When applying the Messmer’s UV Plus apply a generous coat to the entire surface of the deck. Wait 15 –20 minutes and you should see puddling forming of excess oil. Go back on the deck with a clean brush and back brush the excess oil off the deck surface, make sure to squeeze the excess oil off the brush back into can as it can be used again. Removing your footprints as you go.
When applying the Hemp Shield oil working 2 – 3 boards at a time, as this oil dries extremely quickly,
make sure you brush or roll on a generous coat along the entire plank of wood. After about 5 – 10
minutes go back to the oiled boards and wipe up any excess oil, or back brush, pushing it into the wood
After the allotted period please ensure you do remove any excess oil with a clean brush to prevent
tackiness and surface sheen.
DANGER: RAGS, PADS, STEEL WOOL, SPONGES, OR WASTE SOAKED WITH THIS PRODUCT MAY SELF IGNITE AND CATCH FIRE IF IMPROPERLY DISCARDED. IMMEDIATELY AFTER USE PLACE RAGS, PADS, STEEL WOOL OR WASTE IN A SEALED WATER FILLED METAL CONTAINER FOR PROPER DISPOSAL.
6. Allow an additional 24 – 48 hours for cure/dry time after applying Messmer’s UV Plus application, and 6 – 8 hours for cure/dry time after applying Hemp Shield Exterior Oil.
7. Cleaning up after the Messmer’s Oil it is recommended to use either paint thinner or mineral spirts.
Cleaning up after Hemp Shield Oil it is recommended to use soap and water.
Hemp Shield Minimum Application Temperature: 10°C
Messmer’s Minimum Application Temperature: 4°C
Please Note: Hemp Shield Oil can freeze so please store in a heated area.
Hemp Shield Average Coverage: 1 gallon (3.79L) – 300 sq. ft. – 400 sq. ft. (approx.)
Messmer’s Average Coverage: 1 gallon (3.79L) – 200 sq. ft. – 300 sq. ft. (approx.)
Messmer’s & Woca Cleaner Coverage: 600 sq. ft. (approx.)
Different wood species, age, and degree of weathering can affect the amount of finish required to
maintain your exterior surface, let the wood tell you how much oil is required or when it needs reapplication.
Please note: Hemp Shield Exterior Oil, and Messmer’s UV Plus for Hardwoods Oil, are all 1 coat
With annual cleaning and oil treatment, the wood will naturally darken with UV exposure.
We recommend using Hemp Shield Exterior Wood Finish, or the Messmer’s UV Plus for Hardwood Decks, are all premium natural wood finishes we have tested and recommend to protect and maintain the natural beauty of your Kayu Batu hardwood deck.
Your deck should be finished no more than once a year. Application of the oil should be with a bristle brush or lint free roller. One coat is sufficient for most applications.
Excess product not absorbed into your hardwood deck within 20 - 30 minutes for Messmer’s and 5 – 10 minutes for Hemp Shield must be back brushed with a dry brush removing any excess oil to prevent tackiness and surface sheen.
This does happen, if you do not remove the excess oil and end up with a tacky surface to fix it is recommended to wipe up the excess oil, ensuring to be extremely careful disposing saturated rags. If that doesn’t solve the tackiness, wipe down the tacky surface with a little paint thinner or lacquer thinner and if required to re-apply exterior finish; again be extremely carefully disposing saturated rags.
DANGER PLEASE NOTE: RAGS, PADS, STEEL WOOL, SPONGES, OR WASTE SOAKED WITH THIS PRODUCT
MAY SELF IGNITE AND CATCH FIRE IF IMPROPERLY DISCARDED.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER USE PLACE RAGS, PADS, STEEL WOOL OR WASTE IN A SEALED WATER FILLED METAL
CONTAINER FOR PROPER DISPOSAL
These are just guidelines please call the office if you have any questions.
Enjoy the Natural Beauty!
Rain Screen Specifications
A Rainscreen is and exterior wall assembly method where the siding material is installed off from standard exterior wall. Creating this gap between the exterior wall components and the exterior cladding material creates a capillary break which allows for ventilation, drainage, and evaporation.
This wall assembly simply prevents the exterior wall from getting wet.
It is always recommended to check with local building codes for exact specifications when installing the rain screen exterior wall assembly.
Congratulations on the purchase of high quality tropical hardwood decking, siding, fencing and/or related products from Kayu Canada Inc.
Kayu Canada Inc sources these products that are meticulously selected, prepared and milled under the utmost of quality control. This is a natural product and is subject to many variables including colour, density & characteristics. While we strive to take the greatest care when selecting, shipping & storing our product some watermarks, sticker stains etc may occur. These can be removed during the initial cleaning, prepping & installation of the product. These are not defects. Also please be aware that some expansion, contraction, cracking and cupping may occur after installation and are a natural occurrence. These products are natural wood and are subject to variations in color, grain, density, weight and performance.
If you require any more information please feel free to contact any of the Kayu team or refer to your local building code for installation recommendations.
Center Technique Forester Tropical
Department of Forestry Indonesia
International Tropical Timber Organization
Malaysian Timber Council
Malaysian Timber Industry Board
US Department of Agriculture